Friday 19 October 2012

Letters to Alice on First Reading Jane Austen by Fay Weldon

This is my favourite Fay Weldon book, in fact the only one of her books that I have read more than once. I  bought this book when I was studying for my degree.  We had to read it alongside Pride and Prejudice in a course that compared several classics with more modern stories that referenced them eg.  Jane Eyre and The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, Robinson Crusoe and Foe by JM Coetzee.  As the title indicates this story is made up of a series of letters to Alice.  It discusses Jane Austen's works, but also challenges the way we look at life and the "City of Invention" is the best analogy of the world of fiction that I have ever read. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fay_Weldon

Please note that Wikipedia articles may contain spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment