Friday 4 January 2013

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

An ingénue meets and marries the much more sophisticated Max de Winter while travelling on the continent.  All goes well until they return to his family home and she encounters the housekeeper, a nutjob who worshiped the previous Mrs. de Winter.

A permanent resident of my Top Ten Books of all Time, Rebecca is melodramatic, sensational and oh so satisfying.  It is interesting that although the title is the name of  her rival, we never find out the first name of the protagonist. I think Daphne du Maurier was trying to highlight the differences between the first and second Mrs. de Winter.

 I tried to re-create the journey to Manderly in my picture, but wasn't able to find a gate that looked imposing enough, so I went for the gravel road that led to the bach we stayed in over Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment